Become a more versatile and creative string player with these courses by Christian Howes.
Whether you’re just beginning to look beyond your classical training, you’re an intermediate improviser looking to expand, or you’re an advanced jazz player seeking more sophistication, expand your musicianship with the resources below suited to your level. Some of these resources are especially suitable for string teachers.
- Learn to create melodies, harmonies, and bass lines over the ubiquitous chord progression from Pachelbel’s Canon.
- Develop the skills needed to arrange, compose, and improvise over triadic chord progressions- the types of skills needed to make your own cover songs
- This course contains a treasure-trove of materials: 2 videos series, 6 play-along mp3s, a stand-a-lone workbook, and other handouts Written materials utilize our innovative “chord stacks” diagrams which allow you to learn to create lines in a connect-the-dots fashion
- Skill Level: All levels. Workbook is color-coded to help less experienced readers.
- Hear and internalize harmony as thoroughly as you do melody.
- Master skills utilized on a daily basis by top improvising violin players worldwide- skills taught at the Berklee School of Music as part of their string major proficiency requirements.
- This bundle includes a four-part video series of Chris demonstrating and expanding on key information found in the Violin Harmony Handbook (also included!)
- Level: Intermediate and Up
- Learn how to play this bedrock style of contemporary American music from which Pop, Rock, R&B, Jazz, Gospel, Hip Hop, and others draw.
- Create tension and richness in your playing, both rhythmically and harmonically.
- This course includes 5 lesson videos, 2 mp3s and a worksheet to get you started on things like:
- Translating the blues literary form into effective melodic expression
- Generating rhythmic tension through the manipulation of triplets
- Creating bass lines & comping patterns in 12 bar blues within various grooves
- Start improvising NOW- without judgement or fear.
- Develop your own sound and musical signature.
- Includes two full video series that you can dive into immediately no matter your level of fluency in technique, harmony, and contemporary styles.
- Skill Level: All levels Also included in our Creative Strings Academy
- Teach Improvisation to your students in a clear, easy, all-ages-friendly way.
- Gain new insights on the nature of improvisation.
- This series contains 7 lesson videos where Christian Howes’ reveals the secrets behind his unique approach to teaching improvisation.
- Skill Level: Intended for teachers. Concepts are appropriate for all levels.
- Internalize both the sound and mechanics of the diminished scale on the violin, viola, or cello.
- Learn how to apply this essential sonic color over dominant chords.
- This bundle contains 3 lesson videos, one PDF, and one mp3.
- Skill Level: Advanced.
- Increase your comfort and ease playing faster over ii-V-I progressions.
- This series includes 3 lesson videos, transcriptions in all twelve keys, and worksheets for each video.
- Skill Level:< Advanced.
- Add more tonal colors to your improvisatory palate.
- Evoke the sound of Modern Jazz in your improvisations.
- This bundle includes: 4 instructional videos and two practice charts.
- Skill Level: Advanced. Also included in our Creative Strings Academy
- Change up the melody to familiar songs
- vary the motifs in common exercises
We accept PayPal and all major credit cards. Click below to place your order through PayPal. Don’t worry, you don’t need a PayPal account. After making your purchase, you will immediately receive an e-mail with the link to download your product.
Not Sure Which Course to Get?
Schedule a free private lesson with Christian & get streaming access to ALL the above courses via this special promotion.