Teachers- Would you like to provide an amazing event for your students?
Consider a Creative Strings Residency: A guest artist collaboration focused on contemporary styles, improvisation, and related subjects which balances educational substance with inspiration via classroom sessions and collaborative concerts.
– Contribute to the sustainability of your program
– Provide students an opportunity to collaborate onstage with a world class performing artist
– Enjoy increased community support and recognition for your program
– When comparing Carnegie Hall or Disney World, think “fraction of the cost and hassle,” from the comfort of home.
Through 1-3 days, Creative Strings provides training in new skills for students and teachers including:
- Improvisation, composition, and arranging.
- Creative self-expression
- Harmonic and rhythmic fluency; Applied theory
- Fluency in contemporary styles
- Demystifying amplification, effects, and loops
How Creative Strings is different:
1) Well-Rounded– Some programs focus on one genre. We offer broad repertoire: Latin, Americana, Jazz, Blues, Rock, et al.
2) Sound Pedagogy- Other programs use classroom time for rehearsal. We use them to teach skills based on sound pedagogy and in-depth curriculum. See for yourself in our videos, podcasts, and articles.
3) Flexible funding opportunities-. Book now to take advantage of last minute filler dates.
4) Spotlight on Students– Other programs make it all about the guest artist. We focus on serving the students.
A) Repertoire which challenges and features students
B) “Informance” portions of concert feature students demonstrating new skills to parents.
C) More classroom learning
Why Christian Howes?
A former Associate Professor at Berklee College of Music, Christian is widely established as one of the world’s most respected jazz violinists and string pedagogues. A Suzuki-trained, accomplished classical violinist, he brings a unique perspective to help string players and teachers broaden their knowledge and skills.
Watch this short video documenting a Creative Strings residency near Kansas City:
Why it’s necessary:
The need for classical musicians to diversify is self-evident. Orchestral programs can offer a broad array of skills so that students will be able to incorporate music into their lives more sustainably.
You’ll have full support of Christian’s team in logistics, promotion, and programming. Our vested interest is in partnering to help teachers create successful events.
“You and your team made the logistical part of your residency a breeze! Everyone involved offered outstanding communication and attention to detail from the get go. It made my job easy and stress free!” (Bryan Bricco- Head of music in Penfield Schools, following a three-day event involving over 200 students in band, choir, and orchestra ages 9-17.)
Sponsored Access to Online Learning-Yamaha and D’Addario have generously provided sponsorship to allow schools to utilize online learning via Christian Howes’ Creative Strings Academy in anticipation of his visit, to maximize the time with Christian at your school.
For sample repertoire and concert structure, learn more here.
What is the process?
How can I bring this into my school?
Email or call Tiffany Goodman – [email protected] // 773-283-2830
First, we’ll work with you in planning a time for Christian to come into your school. Once a date is chosen, you’ll receive your unique login for the Creative Strings Academy so you and your students can dive headfirst into the online curriculum.
We’ll work closely with you to promote, schedule, and program, and there will be a mutually agreed itinerary to serve the needs of your district, whether it includes teacher training, k-12 student workshops, assemblies, concert, and any media appearances.
All of this will culminate in a final performance highlighting the students. The event is an opportunity to fundraise, promote your program, recruit, and nurture support from your community.
Email or call Tiffany Goodman to learn more: [email protected] // 773-283-2830
Creative Strings is a non-profit organization with a mission to support music education through outreach, summer conference, and online curriculum.