Teachers: Would you like to provide an amazing special event for your students?
If so, consider a Creative Strings Residency.
WHAT: A guest artist collaboration focused on contemporary styles, improvisation, & related subjects that balances educational substance with inspiration through classroom sessions and collaborative concert, for K.-12 and college.
– Contribute to the sustainability of your program
– Provide students an opportunity to collaborate onstage with a world class performing artist
– Enjoy increased community support and recognition for your program
– If you’re comparing Carnegie Hall or Disney World, think “fraction of the cost and hassle”, from the comfort of home.
Through 1-3 days, Creative Strings provides training in new skills for students and teachers including:
- Improvisation, composition, and arranging.
- Creative self-expression
- Harmonic and rhythmic fluency; Applying theory
- Fluency in contemporary styles
- Demystifying amplification, effects, and loops
How Creative Strings is different:
1) Well-Rounded– Some programs focus on one genre. We offer broad repertoire: Latin, Americana, Jazz, Blues, Rock, et al.
2) Focus on Pedagogy- Other programs use classroom time for rehearsal. Our classroom sessions teach skills based on sound pedagogy and the most in-depth curriculum for contemporary string playing. See for yourself in our videos, podcasts, and articles.
3) Flexible funding opportunities-. Book now to take advantage of last minute filler dates.
4) Spotlight on Students– Other programs make it all about the guest artist. We focus the students.
A) Repertoire which challenges and features students
B) “Informance” portions of concert feature students demonstrating new skills to parents.
C) More classroom learning
Why Christian Howes?
A former Associate Professor at Berklee College of Music, Christian is widely established as one of the world’s most respected jazz violinists and string pedagogues. A Suzuki-trained, accomplished classical violinist, he brings a unique perspective to help classically trained string players and teachers broaden their knowledge and skills.
Watch this short video documenting a Creative Strings residency near Kansas City:
Why it’s necessary:
The need for classical musicians to diversify is self-evident. Music education programs can offer a broader array of skills so that students will be able to incorporate music into their lives, whether or not they become professional musicians.
You’ll have the full support of Christian and his team before and after the residency. Managing over 50 school visits per year, we provide support in logistics, promotion, and programming. Our vested interest is in partnering to create successful events for teachers, students, families, and communities.
Our sponsors, Yamaha and D’Addario have provided resources to allow schools to utilize Christian Howes’ Creative Strings Academy for free in anticipation of his visit, so students and teachers can make the most of the time with Christian at your school.
Repertoire and Concert Structure- Learn more here.
How can I bring this into my school? What is the process?
Email or call Tiffany Goodman – [email protected] // 773.283.2830
First, we’ll work with you in planning a time for Christian to come into your school. Once a date is chosen, you’ll receive your unique login for the Creative Strings Academy so you and your students can dive headfirst into the online curriculum.
We will work closely with you to promote, schedule,and program, and there will be a mutually agreed itinerary to serve the needs of your district, whether it includes teacher training, k-12 student workshops, assemblies, concert, and any media appearances.
All of this will culminate in a final performance highlighting the students. Christian will also perform during the concert, but the concert is very student-centered. The event is an opportunity to fundraise, promote your program, recruit, and nurture support from your community.
Email/call Tiffany Goodman to inquire about a Christian Howes- Creative Strings residency. [email protected] – 773-283-2830